Today I'm taking a break from wedding recaps to talk about something that you can directly apply to your relationship, no matter what stage your at. But have no fear, I'll be back in a couple of weeks with more wedding photos.
Earlier this year, I wrote about the importance in our marriage to set aside quality time together each week for a date night. I know, I know, easy for us to say, right? We're less than a year into marriage and have no kids. But the way we see it, we're building a foundation and setting up structure in our marriage that will hopefully carry us through the crazier, busier days ahead. One of the things that makes it sustainable, is that we don't always go big. Sometimes we just stay home and catch up on our shows. More often than not, we head to the cinema where we both have unlimited passes, which sometimes means being able to justify seeing a bad movie that we don't necessarily care about just to get out of the house (and snack on some popcorn). Still, it's the time together that matters, is practising that muscle memory so it actually feels weird if we don't do it.
One way to make quality time together more quality is to continue to date one another. What I mean by that is continue to ask questions to get to know your spouse. Remember when you first started dating and you were still able to ask how many siblings that person had or what he or she studied in school? Well now, with a few years under your belt, you have to get a little more creative. You already know the basics. But do you know all the specifics? All the tiny little details that make this person who they are? Here are 20 questions you can use to get the conversation going, get to know your spouse better, and maybe dive into some fun or even deep conversations.
- What would you do if we won the lottery?
- Who was your childhood hero?
- What was your biggest fear as a child?
- What is your biggest fear now?
- What is your favourite memory of us dating?
- If you could time travel, which year would you travel to and why?
- How would our theme song go?
- Who's marriage do you really admire and why? What could we do to get closer to that?
- If we had a boat, what would you name it?
- What one thing do I do that makes you feel most loved?
- Besides our engagement or wedding day (and the births of our children), what is your best day ever?
- What is one thing you'd like to accomplish in the next year?
- What is one new hobby you'd like to try?
- What is your ideal meal for your last supper?
- What is your favourite outfit that I wear?
- What three things would you bring on a desert island? What if you could only bring three movies and nothing else? (It's a desert island with means to watch movies, of course!)
- What is your dream holiday destination?
- What is your biggest pet peeve?
- If you had one super power, what would it be?
- What is the ideal number of times to have sex per week?
Header Photo by Brianne Haagenson Photography.